Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SUNY Old Westbury Library, Old Westbury, NY 11658
Call us: (516) 876-3150 or Text us: (516) 279-5084
Empirical Research Articles
What is an empirical research article?
An empirical research article reports the results of a study that uses data derived from actual observation or experimentation.
How to recognize an empirical research article.
- The article is published in a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal.
- The article abstract mentions a study, observation, # of participants/subjects, analysis.
- The article has charts, graphs or statistical analysis.
- The article is likely to be more than 5 pages long.
- The article contains the sections below (exact terms may vary).
Empirical research articles typically have the following sections.
The following methodologies are examples of empirical research.
- Empirical study
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
- Clinical study
- Longitudinal study
Empirical Research Articles: what the heck are they? (8.12 min)